Every time someone searches, there are thousands of web pages with helpful information. Long before someone types a query, Google starts working out which results to show. What Google does:
1) It organises the content of the web by crawling and indexing
Even before a person searches, Google organises information about websites in its search index which is like a huge library.
2) It instantly matches your search using search algorithms
In a fraction of a second, Google’s Search algorithms sort through hundreds of billions of web pages in its search index to find the most relevant results for what a user is looking for.
3) It presents results in helpful ways by suggesting useful responses
To help users find what they’re looking for quickly, Google provides results in many useful formats. For example, it uses a map with directions, images, videos or articles and it’s constantly evolving with new ways to present information.
4) Google makes money by selling advertising
While advertisers can pay to be displayed in clearly marked sections of the page, no one can buy better placement in the search results. The algorithms determine which adverts are the most relevant and which adverts have the highest quality.
5) They are constantly updating the platform and testing it
Google engineers spend each day testing it and conducting hundreds of thousands of experiments every year. This results in thousands of improvements to the platform yearly.
But, who better to tell you how search engines work than Google itself? Watch this short video to find out how Google Search works including indexing, site ranking, spam flagging, and how results are served.
To make sure your website shows up in relevant searches, here are 5 tips for getting your site to appear on Google:
1) Add your business to Google My Business and link your website and contact details to it
2) Build credibility on Google by asking customers to leave reviews on Google. The higher the rating, the more trustworthy your business will seem.
3) Make sure your website contains relevant keywords for what people will be searching for. For example, imagine you run a plumbing business in Halifax. People looking for your services may search Google for “Plumber in Halifax”. So make sure you add that phrase to your page titles and in your paragraphs.
4) Don’t forget about your images! Filling in the alt-text on your images with relevant keywords will also increase the likelihood of you appearing in Google Search results
5) Keep your content updated. Regularly updating your content shows Google your website is fresh, and therefore the content may be more relevant to someone searching for your services. Adding a blog post regularly or showing examples of your work can help you do this.
All Swift Builder templates are well-built to improve your website’s chance of appearing in search results. Combine your Swift Builder website with the basic SEO tips above, and you’ll be off to a flying start.
If you need more support or guidance, get in touch with us here.